23 May 2013

italian macaroni and cheese



Who doesn't love macaroni and cheese? I used to eat it all the time until I realized that good old mac 'n cheese was probably 80% of the reason I had a weight problem (the other part being complete inactivity). I cut it out of my diet altogether while I was losing weight, but that just made me sad. This recipe is a decent way to reintroduce macaroni and cheese into my not-entirely-unhealthy diet. The healthy part is just portion control - I eat about half of what the original recipe says is a serving, and add half a head of broccoli to make it more filling. (As I made it, this recipe is 500 calories and 25 grams of fat) Plus, steamed broccoli with olive oil, garlic, and salt is my favorite way to eat vegetables! 



Italian Macaroni and Cheese
adapted from Panera's Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
Makes 8 servings
Cook time: ~45 minutes

Ingredients
For the pasta:
1 (16-ounce) package of pasta (any type you like!)
¼ cup butter or margarine
½ cup all-purpose flour
2½ cups milk (we use skim)
6 slices sharp Provolone, chopped
8 oz. Mozzarella, chopped
2 links hot Italian sausage
1 teaspoon salt

For one serving of broccoli to serve with macaroni:
½ head of broccoli
½ tbsp olive oil
½ tsp garlic
salt
  1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. 
  2. Melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. 
  3. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and bubbles. (Basically, you're making a roux / white sauce) Remove from heat. 
  4. Remove sausage from casings; break into small pieces and brown (on stovetop or in microwave).
  5. Add cheeses, sausage, and salt, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth. 
  6. Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat for 1 minute (or until thoroughly heated).
  7. Chop broccoli into bite-sized pieces; mix broccoli, olive oil, garlic, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl with lid. Microwave for 1 minute. Serve on top of macaroni and cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment