09 December 2013

little adventures

Predictably, I haven't had time for any more [major] adventures, what with the thesis writing and all. About all I have time to do is take short walks around south Dublin. Compared to the walks near my apartment in Florence and Lexington, though... well, there really is no comparison. I think these little hour-long outings qualify as a certain type of adventure. I'm getting to know new parts of the city, and the longer I'm here, the more I realize I still need to explore. It's a little astounding, having always lived in small cities or even smaller towns, that there's so much within walking distance that's still a complete mystery to me. Here are a few of the places I've found recently.

☾☆

I took this first set wandering around campus when I should have been socializing at a lunch for new PhD students. I think I'm probably the only student who intentionally skips the free-food portion of academic gatherings simply because small talk is the worst. As in, panic-inducing. But the campus is gorgeous, and I enjoyed walking around for a while.



☾☆

the Grand Canal just south of our apartment; on my way to the wine store on Baggot Street

☾☆

around Dartmouth Square just south of the canal, near our church


the church next door to ours

☾☆

This is Herbert Park in Ballsbridge (the road just before the entrance to the park; both go by the same name). Easily some of the most extravagant houses I've seen since we moved here. I wondered how many security cameras caught me gawking. ;)

Herbert Park




on the outside edge of Herbert Park, next to the River Dodder on the left


What is, at first glance, a "cute little house" just outside Herbert Park, is actually "Herbert Lodge," a €1.2 million, 2-bedroom house. Now you know why looking at houses here is so stressful. (To be fair, though, Ballsbridge is one of, if not the, most expensive neighborhood in Dublin. Hence the gorgeous park.)

☾☆

And because I can't post anything without including a picture of Pippin... this is him sitting on my keyboard while I'm trying to write. :P

☾☆

No comments:

Post a Comment