14 September 2013

back to work

Things are starting to feel a lot more normal and a lot less like vacation now that I’ve actually gone back to “work.” Research has once again become my sole purpose for living. I can tell that I’m going to have to make a conscious effort to put down the books every once in a while or I might not even notice that I’ve relocated!

Speaking of which, last Saturday, Jason and I went out to Dún Laoghaire for a walking tour with Declan Hughes, one of the many Irish crime writers I’ve read over the past few years. We walked to several locations along the coast where key scenes in his first book (from which he read) were set - and also, because it’s Ireland, we were treated to a bit of Ulysses as well. :) It was a small group on the walk, and Declan Hughes was personable and funny and a wonderful performer. Saturday was also a reality check in terms of Irish weather: it was rainy and in the low 50s the entire day, but felt much colder because of the wind. At the end of the walk, my hands were so cold I felt like I couldn’t move my fingers; I’ve never been so happy to overpay for a coffee in my entire life. :P Since then, the weather has been consistently cool and cloudy with occasional rain. You might think I’m crazy, but it’s perfect! With my aversion to heat, I honestly don’t know how I survived so many summers in the South. In any case, here are a few pictures:






The week was a bit exhausting, too: Tuesday, I had a lunch for new graduate students in the College of Arts and Celtic Studies - only it wasn’t very organized, and I didn’t actually meet anyone else in the English department. At least it was free lunch, even if it was just bland chicken on a bun. :P Wednesday began the Memory and Trauma conference: there was a workshop for graduate students with Kali Tal, who does work in trauma theory. I’ve planned on including a chapter on traumatic memory in my thesis so this was a good way to jump-start my thinking on the topic. Thursday and Friday were conference presentations. It was wonderful to hear so many papers engaged with memory theory and contemporary Irish literature! People always say that conferences are great for getting new perspectives on your research, meeting good contacts, etc., but I hadn’t yet been to one that was relevant to my own work, so this was a great experience for the beginning of my studies in Ireland. Like I said, though, being around so many people this week was exhausting for someone with social anxiety, so I’m looking forward to more solitary scholarship next week. :)

Also on the books for next week - apartment hunting with the relocation expert courtesy of Jason’s work! We’re going on a kind of “tour” of some different neighborhoods around Dublin on Monday to get an idea of which areas we like best, and then viewing apartments on Wednesday. I'm so ready to find a more permanent place!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading these updates. Sounds like you two are settling in nicely, and I'm glad that you're diving headlong into meaningful research you enjoy. Staying busy is one of the better ways to fight homesickness, I'm convinced. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandi! Thanks for posting your adventures online. I like seeing the pictures of Ireland also. We need to set up a time to skype. You may have done that with your mom I didn't know. Mom is still in South Carolina and won't be back till Tuesday, and Wednesday is her birthday! We love you and take care! David

    ReplyDelete